The other week, we went to Gocciolina, a wonderful Italian restaurant in Durham. While there, I ate the best chickpeas I’ve ever had in my life. The chickpeas themselves were small and creamy, but the spicy sauce and olives that rounded out the dish elevated them to the next level. I really want that recipe.
Since then, chickpea salads have been on my mind. Googling “spicy Italian chickpea salad” yielded nothing of interest, so I decided to try my hand at throwing together things in my pantry. This is not at all a recreation of the dish from Gocciolina. But it is an easy, nourishing salad, that has the added benefit of being high protein and tasty. Plus, it can be made by scrounging through your cabinets and vegetable drawer, which is always a win in my book.
Chickpea & Tuna Salad
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 9-12 oz. tuna, drained
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and chopped coarsely
- 1-2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- small piece red onion, minced
- small handful of olives, pitted and chopped (I used Kalamata)
- jarred cherry peppers or banana peppers – chopped (or a pinch of cayenne)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon and/or white wine or red wine vinegar
- olive oil
- any other seasonings or veggies you want to mix in! (some thinly slivered kale might be nice)
Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix until well blended. Taste and adjust seasonings. Boom. Dinner.