In keeping with the season, I’ve lately been making myself a ton of pumpkin spice protein shakes. Sometimes I make them a “latte,” sometimes not. It’s super easy, tasty, and also gives a slight increase in the post-workout carbs.
Here’s what I do:
- 8-12 oz. water (or milk or almond milk depending on your goals/tastes)
- 1-2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I’ve been using Isopure Zero Carb lately because it’s lactose free. SFH also works well!)
- Approximately 1/4 c. canned pumpkin (plain pumpkin, not the pre-made pie filling)
- Pumpkin pie spice, to taste (a few hearty dashes). No pumpkin pie spice? Try a hefty pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg, with slightly smaller pinches of ginger, clove, and allspice.
- Add all ingredients to blender bottle (water first, then protein to prevent clumping) and shake to combine.
To make it a latte, add 1-2 t. instant coffee. For taste and value, I recommend Trader Joe’s instant coffee.
Now that pumpkin spice season is trending towards peppermint mocha and gingerbread, I’m contemplating branching out. Gingerbread probably just requires alternating spice ratios while peppermint mocha would just require chocolate protein powder and some peppermint extract.