Between Cinnamon Apple Pear Pecan Tartlets and these Carrot-Apple Cupcakes, Becky B. had us poking around for crumbs at the potluck. Paleo desserts that actually evoke, well, desserts, are pretty few and far between. She managed to give people a treat without interrupting the Whole Life Challenge.
Modified from Raw & Simple
Prep time: 45 minutes plus 2 hours inactive pre-prep and 4 hours to chill
“Cream Cheese” Frosting
- 1/2 c. cashews, soaked 2 hours
- 1/4 c. coconut oil, warmed to liquid
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/4 x. Stevia
- juice from 2 small lemons (2 T. lemon juice)
- 1/2 T. vanilla extract
- 2 t. coconut flour
- Combine all ingredients except for the coconut flour in a blender and blend until very smooth. Add coconut flour and blend again.
- Chill for four hours or until completely firm.
- 2/3 c. walnuts
- 1-1/4 c. dried apples
- 2/3 c. carrot pulp or shredded carrots, squeezed to remove excess liquid
- 2/3 c. pitted Medjool dates, packed
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. ground ginger
- 1 small vanilla bean, scraped, or 1/2 T. vanilla extract
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- Dash nutmeg
- Dash clove
- 1/4 c. coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts + additional for garnish
- 1/3 c. raisins
- coconut oil, for greasing tart pans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grind 2/3 cup of whole walnuts into a coarse meal in a food processor.
- Add apples, carrots, and dates and process until well incorporated. Then add cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, nutmeg, clove, sea salt, and coconut flour and process until you have a dough-like mixture.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and mix in egg, walnuts, and raisins.
- Press the dough into lightly greased tart pans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Once your carrot-apple cakes are cooled, pipe some of your cashew “cream cheese” frosting on them.
Cute and tasty!