Here’s a delicious squash soup recipe from Sam W., perfect for the cooling fall weather!
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 T. cinnamon
- 1 T. fresh ground pepper
- 1 T. nutmeg
- 2 T. salt
- 2 T. coconut oil
- 1 quart chicken broth
- Optional: crumbled bacon, walnuts, or topping of choice
As I’m typing this up, I’m thinking “woah, that’s a lot more nutmeg than I normally use!” – which may explain why the soup was so much more flavorful than any of my recent squash concoctions!
- Heat the coconut oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Saute the onions with the spices until the onions have are beginning to brown.
- Add the chopped squash and chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until squash becomes soft.
- Remove from heat and let cool. THEN mix it in a blender.*
*Hot liquids in a blender tend to explode. Save yourself from kitchen disasters, ruined meals, stained clothes, and burns, and just trust me on this one.
It tastes good to sprinkle crumbled bacon or walnuts on it.
Indeed, it does. I bet candied walnuts with bacon would be pretty tasty. Toasted coconut flakes might be a nice twist, too.