It all started last March with the most delicious burger I’ve had in years: PaleOMG’s Pineapple Stuffed Chorizo Burger.
I love chorizo, I love burgers, and I love pineapple. Combine them into a triple whammy topped with a tasty avocado puree and you have pure decadence. I’m pretty sure Michael and I polished off 3-4 burgers in a sitting. It was pretty gluttonous.
One bite, and I knew they would make a fabulous party appetizer…but, in burger incarnation, they are a bit messy to eat. Easy solution? Meatballs! (You know a dish is a party hit when a 5-year-old stabs one with a toothpick and begins eating it like a lollipop.)
Anyway, you should try these. They are really easy and very delicious. You should use the avocado puree recipe from PaleOMG if you have ripe avocados, because it’s delicious. If not, you can do what I did and buy the pre-made guacamole from Whole Foods. Their in-store guacamole is delicious, and I didn’t even have to clean my food processor afterwards. (Yes, that was a lot of “delicious”es. Synonyms are a struggle.)
Pineapple Stuffed Chorizo Meatballs
Makes ~48 meatballs
Adapted from PaleOMG
- 2# chorizo (8 sausages – I used Whole Foods)
- 1# ground beef
- 1 can (16 oz.) diced pineapple in juice
- 1 container guacamole
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Drain diced pineapple and put on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes (flipping once if desired) to dry the chunks out a little bit.
- Mix beef and chorizo together. Wrap each pineapple chunk in the beef and chorizo mixture (don’t go overboard with the meat, you want a good ratio!). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Keep warm in a crock pot set on warm.