I’m in a rut–a delicious, delicious rut.
While meandering the aisles of Trader Joe’s a few weeks ago, I picked up a jar of ghee and a spice grinder labeled “South African Smoke.”
It is a simple blend of smoked paprika flakes, sea salt, garlic, and basil. One taste, and I was hooked!
Much like the Frank’s Hot Sauce lady, Trader Joe’s South African Smoke goes on everything. In one month of cooking for one, I’ve nearly finished a grinder that says it contains 88 servings! My meals have been an endless repeat of South African Smoke + ghee:
- Breakfast: cabbage sauteed in ghee with scrambled eggs and South African Smoke (SAS)
- Dinner: vegetables sauteed in ghee with SAS, often served with tilapia seasoned with SAS and sauteed in ghee
- Rub it all over a pork roast and put it in the crockpot with some sliced onions and a splash of apple cider vinegar for a smoky-flavored pulled pork with no wood logs required!
- Toss broccoli with olive oil, pepper, and SAS and roast it in big batches to stick in lunches.
- Use it as a steak rub with no additional seasonings required! (SAS-rubbed flat iron steak grilled rare and sliced thinly = heaven.)
SAS has replaced salt as my go to seasoning these days!
So, if you’re near a Trader Joe’s, pick up a bottle of South African Smoke and let me know how you use it!