I recently discovered Artisana’s nut butters while looking for an easy, on-the-go snack. What seemed like a harmless, one-time snack has now become a bit of an addiction (try their macadamia nut butter and just try to stay away.)
They come in easy-to-open pouches that are readily tossed in your lunch bag, purse, or snack drawer. Use a spoon or go utensil-less and just squeeze it out!
High quality ingredients? Check.
All of Artisana’s products are raw and organic, and they state that they try to buy their food as directly from the farmer as possible. More important than what is in the food, however, is what is NOT in them. Artisana puts NO “PEANUT, Gluten, DAIRY, Heat, Processing, Sugar, Salt, Gluten, Soy, Pesticides, Artificial flavors/ colors, Preservatives, GMO’s, or Oil” in any of their products, and processes them in a peanut, gluten, dairy, and soy-free facility, which makes them a great go-to for people who do have very serious dietary restrictions and sensitivities.
For me, organic/local/etc. is all well and good, but it doesn’t mean much if it doesn’t also deliver on flavor. These deliver.
Normally, I stick to the butters I know and love: macadamia and pecan are my go-to staples. (These super delicious nuts are somehow made even tastier when blended with cashew butter.) However, I’m always down to try something new, and, thankfully, the good folks over at Artisana were kind enough to send me a small sampler pack of some of their other varieties.
Their “Superfoods” line has a cashew butter and almond oil base, and most contain agave (although in such small quantities that the sugar content is negligible).
- Blue Algae – it’s very blue! (In spite of the name, I wasn’t expecting this). Has a nice, lemony flavor, and is very creamy.
- Marine Phytoplankton – it’s green! Similar to the blue algae, it’s very creamy, almost liquidy, and has a nice, lemony flavor.
- Berry Antioxidant – “It tastes like peanut butter and jelly!” said Michael. Agreed.
- Goji & Milk Thistle – YUM! Slight berry taste with vanilla. This might be my new favorite.
- Acai Berry – While the texture and creaminess of this are fabulous, like all of their products, this one just didn’t agree with me and caused a tickling sensation in my throat (of course, it may be that I have a general inability to eat like an adult).
These are all solid products, and a great option if you are looking to spice up your nut consumption with some different flavors. All of the “Superfoods” line are less viscous than the regular nut butters and would work really well as a dip for apple or banana slices or as a mix-in for yogurt or oatmeal if that’s your thing. (I ate them plain.)
After all of my sampling, my taste buds remain firmly committed to the pecan nut butter. However, they may occasionally stray to the goji & milk thistle in the future! (Heck, I may even mix them together.)
So, if you’re in the mood for trying something new, I highly recommend trying a packet (or two) of Artisana’s nut butters. If you’re local to Charlottesville, you can get them at Rebecca’s Natural Foods.
Do you have any new favorite food products?