As an enthusiastic cook and eater, many of the holiday/birthday/special occasion gifts I receive are cooking/food-related. (Thankfully, the other major gift category (lululemon) helps facilitate activities that a) support a hearty appetite for all my cooking/eating and b) ensures I look semi pulled together while doing my CrossFit coaching duties at the gym.) The past has brought a bevy of cookbooks, salts of all varieties, aprons, and tools for modernist cooking, if I am so inclined. This year brought some new playthings: a shitake mushroom log –the perfect gift, as it has long been on my list of things to try, but never quite made it to the “buy now” category–and some salt-free spice blends from Penzeys. As I constantly read other bloggers rhapsodize about their spices, it is quite exciting to finally get to try them.
While the mushroom log is shelved until we get some warmer temps, I quickly put the spices to use. Channeling my Bavarian heritage, I whipped up a super easy and cold-weather appropriate dish of pork chops with apples and onions. Prep time took about 10 minutes, and hours later I had beautiful, tender pork chops with meat falling off the bone. I went full German and served this with a braised cabbage recipe from the Primal Blueprint Cookbook (while the recipe worked well, it yielded cabbage a little smooshy (technical term) for my tastes). Enjoy!
Pork Chops with Apples & Onions
- 2 bone-in pork chops (or bone out, whatever)
- 1-2 t. Penzeys Bavarian style seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Smoked paprika (I used hot) – about 1/2 t.
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 apples, coarsely chopped (I used one Stayman and one Golden Delicious)
- ~4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 c. chicken broth
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- Mix together onions, apples, and garlic in bottom of crock pot. Mix balsamic vinegar with chicken broth and pour over apple and onions.
- Coat pork chops with Bavarian seasoning, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Lay on top of apples/onions.
- Cook on high 4-6 hours (or low for about 8). Serve with side dishes of choice and enjoy!