Not only is this colorful and delicious, it’s a great way to use up any odds and ends of vegetables you have languishing in the refrigerator. Toss them on the salad, or mince them finely and mix them in with the salmon cakes.
Rainbow Salad with Salmon Cakes
- 3-4 cups lettuce of choice, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and then peeled into pretty slivers (or just dice it, or grate it, your call)
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, halved, and sliced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- piece of red cabbage, slivered/diced
- or…your favorite veggies!
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- generous splash of red wine vinegar (probably about 1-1.5 t.)
- 2-3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 pinches sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can (6.5 oz.) wild caught salmon, drained
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- ~1″ of zucchini or yellow squash, minced
- 1 egg
- 1-1.5 t. dijon mustard
- pinch of kosher salt
- few grinds of black pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2-1 T. coconut flour (or more, if necessary)
- ~1 T. coconut oil
- Put salmon, scallion, squash, egg, mustard, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes into a bowl and mix well. Add coconut flour as binder until mixture is somewhat dry but not crumbly. Form four small salmon cakes.
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat. When pan is hot, place cakes in and cook for ~4 minutes on each side.
- While your salmon cakes are frying, mix together your dressing ingredients, adjusting ratios to your taste preference (if you like more acidic/sour, go light on the olive oil to start). Then place lettuce on plates as a bed and arrange vegetables in rows on top. Drizzle with dressing.
- When salmon cakes are done cooking, place them on top of the salad. Drizzle with any remaining dressing. Enjoy!