After a few days in Eastern North Carolina with its vinegary pulled pork, boiled peanuts sold at stands on country highways, and grits–lots and lots of grits–consider this low-country inspiration.
Okra Hash with Shrimp and “Grits”
- 3 pieces thick cut bacon, cut into short pieces (like lardons)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- generous pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 scallions, sliced (both white and green parts)
- ~1/2# okra, sliced (pieces ~ 1/2″ wide)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4# peeled and deveined shrimp, cut into bite size pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, poached or fried
- 12 oz. bag frozen cauliflower florets
- 1-2 T. butter (or bacon fat)
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large pan over medium/medium-high heat (test: your bacon should sizzle immediately in the pan). Add your bacon pieces; let sit for a couple of minutes. Once fat has begun to render and bacon is beginning to brown, add the onion and red pepper flakes and stir. Continue stirring occasionally.
- When onion is beginning to look translucent, add the scallions, okra, and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes.Meanwhile, put your frozen cauliflower in a covered dish and microwave 3-4 minutes, stir, and microwave another 2-3 minutes, or until fully defrosted and hot. Transfer cauliflower to a food processor and blend with butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add shrimp to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes, or until shrimp are cooked through. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, spread cauliflower grits on a plate and spoon okra hash mixture on top of grits. Top with your egg and enjoy!
Nutrition Info: Based on the closest foods in Fitday, 1 serving of this (using 1 T. of butter and poached eggs) would have roughly 480 calories from 23 g of fat, 27 g carbohydrate (9 g of fiber), and 44 g protein.