While I normally find the chopping and sauteeing of the kitchen relaxing, and love how cooking transforms ingredients that are good on their own into something altogether different when in combination, sometimes you just want to EAT without all the hustle and bustle of turning ingredients into dinner. Enter the crock pot and some pre-made sauces.
Having grabbed a can of this El Pato “Mexican hot style” tomato sauce at Kroger the other day (thinking “a ha! I won’t even have to add spices”), I dumped it in a crockpot with some chicken and few other things, left it for the day, and came back to some tasty, ready to shred chicken. Had I been off the Whole 30, I would have grabbed a few corn tortillas and enjoyed tacos de pollo perezoso.
Lazy Chicken Thighs – Enchilada Style
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2# boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat if necessary
- 1 can (8 oz.) Mexican hot style tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained of juice
- handful of cilantro
- Place all ingredients (except cilantro) into crockpot. Stir to combine. (You could sprinkle a little extra cayenne or cumin in now if you are so inclined). Cook for 8-10 hours on low.
- Use forks to shred chicken. Top with cilantro and serve.