We love a good raw kale salad with tahini-lemon dressing, but it’s a little heavy for the high humidity and 90 degree temps of summer. Last weekend, I grabbed some of the beets that came in our produce share–earthy Chioggas with pale pinkish-red and white stripes–and whipped up a quick citrus dressing for a light, summery salad.
Raw Kale and Beet Salad
Serves 2-3 as a side
- Juice from 1/2 an orange (juice orange, like Valencia)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ~1 T. olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- dash of cayenne (optional)
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and chiffonaded or cut into bite size pieces
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2-3 beets, roasted (see step 2), peeled, and sliced
- raisins or dried cranberries (can be rehydrated in some boiling water if desired)
- 2-3 T. nuts (try pine nuts or walnuts, toast them to bring out the flavor)
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and season with salt & pepper to taste. Add additional lemon juice for tart/brightness or orange juice for sweetness. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375. Scrub beets thoroughly and remove all but ~1″ of the green stem. Coat them with a little bit of olive oil and wrap the beets plus your rosemary sprig in aluminum foil. Bake 45-60 minutes until cooked through (a fork should pierce them fairly easily). Let cool 10-15 minutes and then peel.
- Place kale in large bowl. Pour dressing over it and toss to coat. Let sit for 20-30 minutes for dressing to soften up kale a bit (you can skip this step if you are in a rush or just want to eat!)
- Top with sliced beets, raisins, and nuts. Toss lightly, serve, and enjoy!