When I find something I like, I’m a creature of habit. Nearly every morning for a month, I was eating sauteed bacon, onion, and cabbage topped with two runny fried eggs. It is warm and slightly salty with the chewy bits of bacon, and I love the sweetness of the caramelized onions and the softened crunch of the cabbage. Try it and see how you like it!
Ingredients (for one):
- Bacon, 1-2 slices depending on your whims
- ~1/4 onion, coarsely chopped
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- chopped green cabbage, 1-2 cups
- small bit of butter
- 2 eggs
- sea salt and black pepper
1. Set medium size skillet over medium heat and fry bacon. When most of the fat is rendered and it is slightly crispy, remove bacon from pan. Add onion and red pepper flakes (if using) to the bacon fat.
2. Cook onions for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly brown and starting to soften. Add cabbage and stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Crumble bacon in and cook a few minutes more until cabbage is softened to your tasting. [Sometimes I add in a dash or two of turmeric at this point, totally optional]. Pour cabbage mixture into a bowl.
3. Add some fat to the pan and fry your eggs to your liking. When done, place on top of cabbage mixture and season with salt & pepper to taste.